My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Tuesday, November 23, 2021

A review of my book 'Remembered Vignettes" by Ms Anne Ranasinghe.

 

Letter from Anne Ranasinghe (Received on 19/6/2008)

13/6/2008

Dear Dr.Veerasingam,

          My sincerest thanks to you and Dr.Kappagoda – I loved your book – it brought back those wonderful days, idyllic in retrospect. I knew so many of the people about whom you write, and also some of the “Vignettes” – they still make me chuckle when reading them. How fortunate you all were to be taught by so many brilliant (and quirky!) men! Not that they were paragons of virtue – by no means – but they had values & principles, were incorruptible with a strict sense of fairness. Where my husband was concerned – he was not known as ‘Ranaya’ but as ‘Rane’ (it is of no importance) and I recall the Neil Fonseka ‘misdemeanor’. As far as I remember he fell asleep during my husband’s lecture. Who should have been ‘punished’ is questionable!

          I also remember “Sir Hector Ross MacLennan” – he and his wife stayed with us when he came here & they were fond friends. Many years later, after my husband died, I was invited to a public reading of my poetry in London. The organizers had advertised this in a London paper. I received a call from Hector, apologizing for not being able to attend as he had to go abroad. He also told me that his wife had died, and he had a new ‘companion’ – he seemed very contented.

I am glad you have acknowledged Dr.Kularatne’s contribution – it should never be underestimated. His loyalty to the unit & his dedication was inestimable and my husband trusted him absolutely – a rare tribute. My husband, having been educated at Ananda College, also appreciated Dr.K’s proficiency in Sinhala, somehow they saw things the same way, understood each other!.

          Noel and Nora Bartholomeusz were the firtst people I met when I came to Sri-Lanka & the four of us were very good friends (until death!) I was Nora’s executor, but long before she died I started looking after her affairs – she lost interest in life after Noel died. He was her whole existence. For the record: she could not make up her mind what to do with her house, and I suggested that as there was no “Oration” for Noel it might be a good idea to give it to the College of Surgeons. (Prof.Sherifdeen was looking after Nora – very devotedly – and so was Vim Navaratnam (another friend of many years standing)) She agreed. The house was in a bad state when she died _ I couldn’t do repairs because of the dust and noise – and so before handing it over I renovated the whole place (with a brand new roof etc!) (Noel and Nora’s name is perpetuated in the name of the foundation) THAT’S why I was the Chief Guest (and made a stern speech with regard to how the place should be looked after!)

          You left me the wonderful story how Dr.Prins Rajaratnam, when leaving a party(where he had indulged rather liberally) found fault with his driver as he started the car. To punish him he got him to drive the car in REVERSE all the way home!

          You didn’t mention Sir Nicholas?

          I could go on forever! You have opened the flood-gates.

          IF you ever do a reprint may I suggest that you have an appendix with names, if possible dates, & page numbers - a luxury for your reader!

                             Again, thank you

very much

Sincerely

Anne Ranasinghe.

 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Philip

    You must have been so pleased with this review from Mrs Anne Ranasinghe who has touched on most of the highlights as picked up by her.

    It is refreshing to look back how others see your extra talents outside your professional skills.

    Like her, there were quite a number of your batchmates and outsiders who found your book and excellent compilation of non fictional anecdotes.

    You have a unique way of describing these events to keep the reader fully engaged and alert.

    I have read all your editions with great interest and I still have them in my home library.

    It is high time you bring out another edition to your list if you have not yet started another already.

    It would be worth picking up few of the anecdotes from our 1960 medical entrants batch blog which you have continued to maintain with so much of dedication and effort for the benefit of all parties. You are keeping the blog alive with little support from very few of our batch mates.

    Best wishes

    Nana

    C.S.Nanayakkara

    UK

    ReplyDelete