My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

The Good Doctor

:  (JMA newsletter October 2018)

Inbox
x

JEY GUNASEGARAM

Tue, Nov 13, 10:42 PM (18 hours ago)


to Thayalan
Dear Thayalan,
Great article. Thanks. I fwded it to some Dr Friends of mine & others. Also to my friend with a huge contact list. Much needed.

Drs & Medical care in USA too has reached a very sad low. The Oath Of Maimonides & his Prayer- Also Oath of Hippocrates have been shoved under the rug- out of sight. These were written 400 B.C & after. Need to be kept in the forefront every where possible. MDs constantly reminded.
I was not perfect. I loved what I did. How fortunate I was to be a Doctor.. 
Just some things I went by- of many, for Success- The 3 As- Availability, Amiability & Ability in that Order.
Do not ASSume anything about anything, anybody or a Patient- I will make an 'ASS'(fool) of my self.
COMMUNICATION- so vital. As well as Educating the Patient & a close Relative of their Condition & What the Surgery I am going to do In every way Possible before, And getting back to them.
If I don't know, I will admit it. Promise to find out the Answer  from my Colleagues or else where. I remind them I am not GOD yet. 
$s  will be very attractive ( & Distracting)- I remind my self that the Patient can be my Close( my own) Relative &  do what I can to as to Treat them as such.
So on & so forth. Adages like- "Do unto others that you will like to be done to you". "Physician Heal thyself first" etc:
If a Patient is upset- It is not about you- they are fearful or as a result of something going in their life. If they are not responding to you - it is not you , it is about them - something that is going on. Not making others wrong. I fail many times.
You have in your Article put them in a structured way.
Much love to you & your Family.
The Best to you in all you are doing. It is to me like a Spring in a desert.
We as Docs keep reminding ourselves our humanity all the time. & try to be humble as much as we can.
I try not to be looking good, only to pass on what I learned in life. Yes, a Dr's Integrity, Authenticity & Compassion is Important. It is not easy - I try hard.
Thanks,
Jey

On November 12, 2018 at 9:40 PM Thayalan Ambalavanar <thayalan12@gmail.com> wrote:



Dear Friends and Colleagues,
You may find this article that I wrote for the latest Jaffna Medical Association (JMA) newsletter of interest.Please feel free to share it.The word  kairasi (last para) was supposed to appear in Tamil but printer's glitch unfortunately made it it ifurhp!!
I would welcome comments!
Thanks.
Dr.Thayalan Ambalavanar

No comments:

Post a Comment