My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Thursday, August 1, 2019

Assuming duties as DMO Koslanda, May 1966.

Dr. Philip G Veerasingam recalls
It was in the year 1966 in the month of May, that I got off the night train from Colombo to Badulla, at the Haputhale railway station. This was around 4 am. The morning mist was covering the area and myself and my younger brother Daniel, took refuge in the Rest House near the Railway station and enjoyed a morning cup of tea. A car, a black Peugot 203, was available for hire to go to Koslanda, where I was to assume duties as the District Medical Officer. Coming through the Haputhale Gap where intermittent gusts of wind were buffeting the car, we came down the winding fog bound road to Beragala. Turning left we proceeded to Koslanda , a sleepy town early in the morning. I met the First Apothecary, who gave us a cup of tea and took me at an auspicious time, to the DMO's bungalow and handed me the keys to it. He showed me the garage attached to the bungalow, which had been the horse's stable in earlier years, for the designated Provincial Surgeon. A wonderful, enjoyable one year followed as a DMO in Koslanda
The Out Patients Department

The Maternity Unit and Female wards

No comments:

Post a Comment