My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Thursday, August 15, 2019

Recalling Buddy's days


Hi Gentleman,
I was lucky enough to be playing for the SSC in that memmorable final vs University.I had qualified to join the Medical Faculty but the time was “not yet”ready..So SSC it was..I bowled 1st change and got 5 wickets,but Buddy Reid defended as if his life depended on it and prevented THE SSC from winning yet another Sara Trophy.
My brother Kithsiri was in the University team and my room mate at home.So we had many a discussion about that game, and Mr Berty Wijesinghe a SSC stalwart was my next door neighbour, and wrote the article for “Times” newspaper then. I have been lucky to meet Mohanlal Fernando in Wales Lareef Idroof Cyril Ernest at different times and Carlyle Perera in Melbourne. Most interestingly i had the good fortune of having Buddy Reid stay with me here in Sydney for ten days when he competed in the State and World Championships
at Table Tennis some 3 years ago. He was 69 years old then.
His TT partner from 52 years ago Punderica Perera UK, came across to watch him play. So we both watched Buddy at TT.
He was like a little boy and played really well,but waiting to turn 70years so that he could play against the :UNDER 80’S!! and he would be only 70!
Just something about the Great Buddy Reid that we should all know.
Hello and wishing everyone the best of health .
Sarath Wimalaratne
STATION FAMILY PRACTICE
NORTH STRATHFIELD NSW 2137

No comments:

Post a Comment