My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Wednesday, January 1, 2020

About Jansz, the Obstetrician

Nihal Amerasekera

Dec 31, 2019, 8:45 PM (7 hours ago)
to me
Dear Philip
This is to wish you and the family a very Happy New Year and one with good health.
I was so happy to see the amusing anecdotes about Dr Jansz a person close to my heart. I was born in the Kandy hospital in 1942 when WW2 was raging in Europe and the far-east. I was delivered by a certain Dr Douglas Walbeoff Jansz and his name is inscribed in my precious birth certificate. Perhaps the certificate was written by him and I appreciate the beautiful hand in which it is done.  I do wonder if it is the same person who later became a Physiology lecturer after his time as a houseman in Kandy. 
Whoever it was, has done a decent job getting me out into an unsettled world without any of the multitude of possible hazards. He may have slapped my back after the delivery to get me to breathe, although my present low back pain is age related.
If it happens to be the same Dr Jansz I would regret this forever that I did not make contact with him when I was a medical student or thereafter to show him the end product of his masterly inactivity to allow a natural birth without chloroform or whatever noxious gases the anaesthetist used in those distant days.
I can name a few who will blame Dr Jansz from bringing me into this world, yet another rascal.
Philip, I would be grateful if you would publish this email which may help jog someone's memory about the full name of Dr Jansz the Physiologist.
With kind regards
Nihal
Dr. Nihal D Amerasekera

3 comments:

  1. ND- Nihal, I have no recollection of Dr Jansz apart from various jokes attributed to him; one often quoted is his references to the proportions of the Nigerian male organ, which caused a batch of female medical students to leave the lecture hall in protest. Dr Jansz is said to have remarked, "Ladies, don't be in a hurry- the plane to Nigeria won't take off till tomorrow!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mahendra
    Thank you for that hilarious story. I too have not seen Dr Jansz and don’t remember the man that pulled me out of the womb and severed the UC. Like Dr Niles he will be long remembered for his tremendous sense of humour. RIP Dr Jansz

    ReplyDelete
  3. In my search for that elusive Christian names of the enigmatic Dr Jansz I came across an article written by Dr Carlo Fonseka in which he has referred to Dr David Jansz the Physiologist. So there ends the query. One cannot blame/salute the Physiologist for my entry into this world. Here is the link: http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=109845

    ReplyDelete