My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Remembering Vernon Abeynaike


Dear Philip
Trust you are keeping well. I keep in touch with Derrwick who is still in Nawala.
I have written a tribute to Verny Abeynaike and would be most grateful if you could publish in your blog. It highlights one of my big regrets not seeing him after our last meeting.
Please include his photo 
Thank you
Regards
Nihal Amerasekera


The Kindness of a Stranger – A Tribute to Vernon Abeynaike

When Ceylon/Sri Lanka had just the one medical school, doctors were a small group. They knew each other. A strong cohesion remained among the medics. At times the bond seemed tribal especially when in the GMOA, in the midst of its many battles with the Health Service. When the second medical school opened in Peradeniya this unity was somewhat diluted. From 1970-74, I criss-crossed the country on my official travels for the Central Blood Bank. These journeys were regarded as my adventures to see the unsophisticated charm of my homeland at government expense. In those four years with the Transfusion Service I saw much of Sri Lanka, in close quarters, much more than most people of my generation. 

Once I went on an official  trip to Welimada. I had booked a room for the night in the rest house. When I arrived there in the late afternoon I was met by the DMO, Dr. Vernon Abeynaike. He was a final year student when I entered the faculty. I knew him only by sight. After the usual pleasantries, he asked me to stay with him. He spoke to the Rest House keeper and got my booking cancelled. Vernon and his wife made me feel at home in their lovely and spacious DMO’s bungalow. The house had lovely views of the surrounding countryside and the lush green mountains. He was delightful company and had a fine repertoire of amusing anecdotes. We laughed and joked so much. After a delicious dinner we chatted well into the night. This was indeed an act of kindness and generous hospitality to a “ complete stranger”. Despite the passage of nearly half a century I still remember with much gratitude his thoughtful and lavish courtesy and humanity. 

Soon after this trip I emigrated to the UK. While nurturing for my career and the family my trips home became few and brief. I never got a chance to make contact with Vernon again. I am now aware that after Welimada he retired from the Health Service. For many years, Vernon was a successful GP in Mt Lavinia. I was deeply saddened to see his obituary in May 2013. I do regret my inability to see him again.  As I write this note on a windswept winters day in London I could still see his smiling face and the warm welcome I received in Welimada all those years ago. I will always remember Vernon for his generosity, humility and decency.

May Vernon be blessed with everlasting peace. RIP.


Comments by

CHARITH NANAYAKKARA

Jan 15, 2020, 10:29 PM (5 hours ago)

to me, M.G.S, M.P.
Hi Philip

As the long-standing webmaster of our batch blog which you maintain, you have continued to be a regular contributor covering wide variety of topics of common interest. I read them with great interest and my sincere thanks for your continuing effort & enthusiasm.

You also allow limited access to few selective ‘outsiders’.

It is likely many of our batch mates in our batch and few outsiders may glance through the blog as regular or occasional readers and enjoy the contents in it.
It is likely that many of us who are Twilighters may be too lazy or indifferent to add any comment but do not get too discouraged and please remain active and keep stimulating our dying brain cells.

Like me and few other batch mates and you must be somewhat disappointed to note paucity of ‘comments’ appearing against any of the added contents.

It is apparent you are not disheartened with such a poor response.
May I suggest that you send another reminder to all the web readers how to add any comments with relative ease if they care.

My main reason for my lengthy ‘comment’ is to show my great appreciation for an ‘Appreciation’ written about one of our batch mates who passed away few years ago.
This was very kindly sent to you for publication in our blog by Dr. Nihal Amarasekera.
ND( as he is better known) has previously sent a very well written article on Derrwick De Silva which you published sometime earlier.

Some of us may be aware that ND is only 3 years junior to us and is very talented with his literally skills. I have admired his hobby as a talented writer and have read most of the interesting articles he has published in the Sri Lanka news media- ISLAND over many years.
In addition I have also enjoyed his regular and popular contributions he makes in their own blog maintained by another talented writer- Lucky.

We must encourage more of these from ‘outsiders’ especially when most of our batch mates are apparently in a deep slumber!

Please share this with our batch mates if you are happy and would you please also share this with ND as I do not have any of his contact details.

Best wishes all round

Nana


C.S. Nanayakkara

Sent from my I Pad


 

4 comments:

  1. Remembering late Vernon Abeynaike- Moving Appreciation
    Inbox
    x
    CHARITH NANAYAKKARA

    Jan 15, 2020, 10:29 PM (5 hours ago)

    to me, M.G.S, M.P.
    Hi Philip

    As the long-standing webmaster of our batch blog which you maintain, you have continued to be a regular contributor covering wide variety of topics of common interest. I read them with great interest and my sincere thanks for your continuing effort & enthusiasm.

    You also allow limited access to few selective ‘outsiders’.

    It is likely many of our batch mates in our batch and few outsiders may glance through the blog as regular or occasional readers and enjoy the contents in it.
    It is likely that many of us who are Twilighters may be too lazy or indifferent to add any comment but do not get too discouraged and please remain active and keep stimulating our dying brain cells.

    Like me and few other batch mates and you must be somewhat disappointed to note paucity of ‘comments’ appearing against any of the added contents.

    It is apparent you are not disheartened with such a poor response.
    May I suggest that you send another reminder to all the web readers how to add any comments with relative ease if they care.

    My main reason for my lengthy ‘comment’ is to show my great appreciation for an ‘Appreciation’ written about one of our batch mates who passed away few years ago.
    This was very kindly sent to you for publication in our blog by Dr. Nihal Amarasekera.
    ND( as he is better known) has previously sent a very well written article on Derrwick De Silva which you published sometime earlier.

    Some of us may be aware that ND is only 3 years junior to us and is very talented with his literally skills. I have admired his hobby as a talented writer and have read most of the interesting articles he has published in the Sri Lanka news media- ISLAND over many years.
    In addition I have also enjoyed his regular and popular contributions he makes in their own blog maintained by another talented writer- Lucky.

    We must encourage more of these from ‘outsiders’ especially when most of our batch mates are apparently in a deep slumber!

    Please share this with our batch mates if you are happy and would you please also share this with ND as I do not have any of his contact details.

    Best wishes all round

    Nana


    C.S. Nanayakkara

    Sent from my I Pad



    ReplyDelete
  2. Nihal Amerasekera

    Wed, Jan 15, 7:43 PM (8 hours ago)

    to me
    Philip
    Thank you very much for publishing my tribute. I am regular reader of your lovely blog. Several of your batch are well known to me through my association with Jeewaka and also working in the UK. MGS Karunanayake worked with me for many years at the Blood Bank.
    Kind regards

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Charith
    It is so wonderful to read your comment. I do agree that Philip maintains a brilliant Blog for the 1960's batch and it is true there are many who do not contribute or comment. But those who do have done a marvellous job to keep it alive and active for so long. Charith, it is the likes of you with your loyalty and friendship that help Philip to make it so good. I have always enjoyed reading the Blog and am grateful to Philip for allowing me to barge in. I do consider those who were at the Faculty in our time formed a brotherhood that has lasted this long .
    Charith, Thanks again for your friendship and kind comments.
    regards
    Nihal

    ReplyDelete
  4. Charith
    Thank you for making me younger than I am. I am from the 1962 batch just 2 years junior hence my memories of your batch which are still fresh in my mind.
    ND

    ReplyDelete