My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Monday, April 1, 2019

emails received

Hi Philip It brought me great sadness to hear of the passing of Viji Ponnambalam. At Medical School everyone knew her as the daughter of the famous GG Ponnambalam. She was tall, charming and cheerful and spoke with the confidence that came from her elite upbringing. I never got to know her well in the Faculty. In 1974 my first job in the UK was in Pathology at the Chase Farm hospital in Enfield where Viji was a registrar in Paediatrics. I literally bumped into her in a narrow corridor of that old Victorian building where she spoke to me with a radiant smile and her characteristic exuberance. Viji was held in high regard by her superiors and she worked exceptionally hard day and night. There were many occasions when I saw her well passed midnight attending to her on-call duties, as I ambled along to the pathology department. In that year there were 25 Sri Lankan doctors working in that hospital. Makuloluwa brothers and W.A.T.E (Titus) Perera too were part of that team. Sri Lankans on Remembering Viji
on 3/30/19
Hi Philip It brought me great sadness to hear of the passing of Viji Ponnambalam. At Medical School everyone knew her as the daughter of the famous GG Ponnambalam. She was tall, charming and cheerful and spoke with the confidence that came from her elite upbringing. I never got to know her well in the Faculty. In 1974 my first job in the UK was in Pathology at the Chase Farm hospital in Enfield where Viji was a registrar in Paediatrics. I literally bumped into her in a narrow corridor of that old Victorian building where she spoke to me with a radiant smile and her characteristic exuberance. Viji was held in high regard by her superiors and she worked exceptionally hard day and night. There were many occasions when I saw her well passed midnight attending to her on-call duties, as I ambled along to the pathology department. In that year there were 25 Sri Lankan doctors working in that hospital. Makuloluwa brothers and W.A.T.E (Titus) Perera too were part of that team. Sri Lankans on Obituary - Demise of Viji Ponnambalam
on 3/30/19
Thank you Nihal for your kind sentiments Regards Nana on Obituary - Dr. Sumith Fonseka
on 3/28/19
Nana Good to hear from you. There aren't many from our years in medical school who will not know you and recognise the booming voice that echoed across those long corridors at the faculty and the GHC. We all value your support for this Blog and the information you provide. Take care my friend. on Obituary - Dr. Sumith Fonseka
on 3/28/19
This is a wonderful tribute by Nihal who was 2 years junior to us. I am aware Nihal is a qualified Radiologist who held a consultant post in the NHS in UK but apparently enjoys a retired and relaxed life still in UK. I do remember him well during our medical college days but I have not met him since his move over to UK. I do enjoy his articles and his regular contributions to their blog. I am fully aware that Nihal contributes actively to 1962 batch website maintained by Lucky Abeygunawardena. Nihal adds his own experience and personal attributes about Sumith both as a Jeewaka hosteller and his professional capacity as a M O Blood bank during his early career training. We will get details of his funeral services through M.G.S.Karu who is in touch with the wife of Sumith. As Buddhists, we believe that nothing is permanent and everything is changing. Death is inevitable but what is not known is when where and how. May he attain the eternal bliss of nibbhana. Nana on Obituary - Dr. Sumith Fonseka
on 3/28/19
Hi Philip It was with deep sadness I heard the news about Sumith Fonseka from MGS Karunanayake. Sumith and I were at Jeewaka together. He was a kind helpful and generous soul. Although he was quiet and reserved occasionally he showed his jolly side relating hilarious stories in his own inimitable style with a poker face. I remember too he had a short fuse and erupted like a volcano only to cool down as quickly as it rose. But he never showed any malice after the event. In later years as I worked in the Central Blood Bank he was working in the Thoracic unit at the GHC. Then he often came to arrange blood for his patients and we met up for a chat and a laugh. I found him to be always polite and scrupulously honest. In later years I heard he was at Leeds UK but never got a chance to meet. I am saddened that for a good man like Sumith life wasn’t kind to him and Destiny worked against him. So pleased to know he had the love of his wife and son to care for him in his final months. He is on Obituary - Dr. Sumith Fonseka
on 3/28/19
Thanks Philip for sharing these details. 1960 medical entrants batch is shrinking in numbers. This is inevitable but pleased to note we still have quite a number who are active and physically and mentally. This is the time we as a batch could share news of our feelings, personal, social and family news including the positives and negatives, ups and downs. Some of us may be able share our own personal experiences as to how we are coping to overcome any of the daily living issues. Let’s initiate a dialog and see how many would respond. Very best wishes Nana on Obituary - Dr. Sumith Fonseka
on 3/26/19
Very true. Well written, melding pathos with humor in the right proportions. Our family misses her. on Remembering Viji

No comments:

Post a Comment