My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Thursday, April 25, 2019

The Light at the end of the Tunnel by Dr Nihal D Amerasekera


Living in the UK I felt the need to show my feelings for the friends and families of the many who have been affected by this senseless tragedy. Our country is reeling once again from this perilous situation of conflict and discord, death and destruction.

Although I live happily in England, I have left a part of me in that beautiful island of my birth and the land of my forefathers. My mind often goes back to the time of my youth growing up in post-colonial Ceylon. It was so very peaceful. How times have changed!! We now live in a world so very different. Despite the years in exile I still share in the joys and heartaches of the people of Sri Lanka.

After the tragedy feelings are raw and emotions run high. Investigations are in progress by the security apparatus of Sri Lanka with the help of Interpol, FBI and the Metropolitan Police. Naturally, after a cataclysm of this nature and magnitude there are boundless stories swirling around, some fact and others fiction. Perhaps, now is not the time for us to make a judgment or apportion blame until the investigations are completed.

It is imperative that we do everything possible to prevent a disaster of this nature in the future. This requires the patronage of politicians, vigilance of the security services, guidance of religious leaders and the co-operation of the various communities. We must remain strong against the corrosive elements of society who try to drive a wedge and divide us. Tolerance is the key to a peaceful Sri Lanka. Importantly, we must learn to nurture the peace when it blooms again.

As for the future of my beloved island unity of our people is paramount. It is heartening to read of the show of solidarity by the different religions and of their shared sorrow. We all grieve today. I hope the many candles that were lit will ignite the efforts to dispel bigotry and disharmony. Let the lasting legacy of this awful tragedy be a doorway to a new beginning of peace and tolerance

No comments:

Post a Comment