My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Tuesday, April 2, 2019

Tribute to the late Dr. Vernon Abeynaike

Nihal Amerasekera noreply-comment@blogger.com Unsubscribe

4:17 PM (4 hours ago)


to me
Nihal Amerasekera has left a new comment on your post "Obituary - Vernon Abeynaike":

Hi Philip
A Tribute to Vernon Abeynaike
When Ceylon/Sri Lanka had just the one medical school, doctors were a small group. They knew each other. A strong cohesion remained among the medics. At times the bond seemed tribal. From 1970-74, I crisscrossed the country on my official travels for the Central Blood Bank. I regarded these journeys as my adventures to see the unsophisticated charm of my homeland at government expense. Once I went on a trip to Welimada. I had booked a room for the night in the Rest House. When I arrived there in the late afternoon I was met by the DMO, Dr. Vernon Abeynaike. He was a final year student when I entered the faculty. I knew him only by sight. After the usual pleasantries, he asked me to stay with him. He spoke to the Rest House keeper and got my booking canceled. Vernon and his wife made me feel at home in their lovely and spacious DMO’s bungalow. He was delightful company and had a fine repertoire of amusing anecdotes. Vernon was rewarded with an extraordinary breadth and depth of knowledge about many things in life. After a delicious dinner we chatted well into the night. He had the remarkable ability see the goodness of people. I have remembered this act of kindness to a "stranger" with much gratitude. Later, Vernon became a successful GP in Mt Lavinia making a tremendous contribution to the life of that community. I was sad to see his obituary in May 2013. I will always remember Vernon for his friendship, generosity, humility and decency.
May his Soul Rest in Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment