My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Saturday, October 5, 2019

The ‘Kingly’ carter


I was on a WHO assignment, after retiring from the Health Department of Sri-Lanka, in Mannar, in the year 2004. In Pesalai, around 10 am on a side road, I saw this carter. He had decorated his head with fresh palm leaves and was on his way home. He was smelling of toddy. Maybe he was dreaming that he was a ‘King on a Chariot’.  He did not object to me taking this photograph.  He did not sit on the the drivers seat but walked along, maybe not to burden the beloved bull dragging the cart. Subsequently he went on his way, with a strange smile on his lips. I wondered, ‘Was he in Seventh Heaven’?  I also wondered what he thought of me, driving a car and wasting my time on the by-ways of Pesalai .



No comments:

Post a Comment