My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Thursday, October 17, 2019

Two missives from batch mates


 Email from the late Soma Muniratne long ago

Dear Philip
It was quite nostalgic reading your book the copy I received thanks to Daya, it brought back vivid memories of College days,I suppose we Bridgatians were quite loud spoken (as mentioned by Kappa). Although almost 50 years has passed since we entered for Medicine reading your book  was quite an experience, a flash back in time. It was interesting to read about your family. 

My husband Wickrama a Mechanical Engineer is now retired. I still work as a solo GP we Sri Lankan Australians do not seem to retire like our colleagues overseas. We have a son a Consultant  Nuclear physician & Oncologist he is engaged to a trainee Radiologist. Our daughter is the Legal counsel to a large company  & is married to an Australian, she has gifted us with a delightful granddaughter  our pride &joy.
Regards to you & your family
Soma Muniratne
(General Practitioner, Australia)


An incident in the life of Kamalika Weeraratne nee Abeygunawardena
 

Typical SriLankan hospitality and respect for doctors, at the time:

Kamalika was an intern in Kalutara, and I was surgical SHO, at Ridgeway, in early 1965, I was bringing her from Kalutara, for the weekend, in my Volkswagen Beetle, when it broke down somewhere near Panadura, I believe. Since I knew the problem was with the carburetor, I was in the process of dismantling it, when, a middle aged gentleman, from the house, near where the car broke down, came up and asked me, what I was doing.He saw Kamalika in the front seat, and I told him, that I was taking my wife, to Colombo, for the weekend. He then said, “This is what happens when teenagers get married early!”, to which, I said, excuse me, we are not teenagers, we are doctors.His face fell, and told me that I should not get my hands dirty, insisted we come to his house, asked his wife to make tea, and sent his servant to get the baas, to fix the car.

Nalin Weeraratne


No comments:

Post a Comment