My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Friday, December 6, 2019

Leaving Koslanda


After being the District Medical Officer, Koslanda from April 1966 to June 1967, I got ambitious to pursue my studies in Surgery. When a vacancy as Senior House Officer in Orthopedics at the General Hospital, Kandy was advertised, I applied for it and was selected for the post. I had really enjoyed my stay at Koslanda. The Hospital environment was very friendly and I got the confidence to tackle quite a variety of medical problems. Looking back the only possessions I had was my car, a FIAT Millicento, an HMV brand valve radio, used to listen to news broadcasts and the music of ‘house-wife’s choice’ and a .22mm Mossberg target rifle. The staff of the hospital organized a party for me  before my departure, in the hospital nurses’ quarters. This was followed by a dinner at the Rest House at Koslanda, organized by the Government Servants of the area, where booze and steaks made from a wild boar, was enjoyed by all. There was a lot of merry making, jokes, singing and a magic show. It ended well past midnight with quite a few male participants going home ‘on four-wheel drive’.
The next morning, I packed my clothes into a suitcase, secured the rifle and radio into the dicky of the car and was ready to leave by 10 AM. Quite a few of the hospital staff turned at my bungalow to wish me good bye. Punchi Banda, the Garden Laborer from Welimada aged close to 60 years nearing retirement, came in my car to be dropped off at his home in Welimada, which lay on the route I took to Kandy. Punchi Banda had been working in the Koslanda hospital nearly 40 years. He remembered the time long ago, when the car garage in the DMOs bungalow had been a stable, where the DMOs horse was kept. I handed over the keys of the bungalow to the First Apothecary, Thiru. I started the car and waving goodbye to all took, off. The route I took led me past, Nikapota, Lemasthota, Beragala and onto Haputhale. It was an ascent all the way, the day was clear and the valley of Udawalawe was brightly lit by the sun. Then I took the road past the Police Station at Haputale and went down into the valley and drove up again to Welimada, where Punchi Banda took his leave of me. Then it was a climb up to Hakgala and on to Nuwara Eliya. From Nuwara Eliya it was downhill all the way through well-tended tea plantations to Ramboda, Pussellawa, Gampola, Peradeniya and on to Kandy. My car the FIAT Millicento, performed like a dream, all the way. I booked a room in a house in Peradeniya Road and stayed the night there. Three days were given to a Government servant on transfer to a new station. This was one day for travel, one day for unpacking, and one day to report to work at the new station. I did some shopping in Kandy next day morning and reported for work in the afternoon, to the Medical Superintendent. I was requested to report to my new boss Dr. Mark Amerasinghe the next day and was allocated sharing accommodation, at the Chulapaya, Medical Officers quarters. Thus, started my journey in Kandy in 1967. While being SHO Orthopaedics in Kandy for 2 years, I got through my Primary FRCS, did a further 2 years in General Surgery and was appointed Resident Surgeon and was on duty during the JVP insurgency in 1971. I was to come back to Kandy in 1973 after getting through my FRCS Ed in the UK in 1973, as Resident Surgeon. After further transfers to Batticaloa and Rathnapura as Consultant Surgeon, I came back to Kandy as Consultant Surgeon in 1986 and was there during the second JVP uprising. I went to the General Hospital in Colombo as Consultant Surgeon in 1991. Such lovely places to work in and wonderful people to interact with, it was the road destiny chose for me, and in my older years, I am thankful to my country for all these gifts.


Response from Premalatha Balasuriya
I can recall one incident when both of us were working at Kandy hospital. You were staying in doctors' quarters at the back of the hospital. One day you tried to come into the hospital through the back gate. The watcher not recognizing you tried to accost you. You reported him to the MS and he sent the watcher for psychiatric assessment. Am I right?

Yes Premalatha, I remember the incident. Prof Sinnathamby in tie and coat was once accosted by a gate keeper near the lift, who challenged him when he was starting to climb the stairs saying 'Mahaththaya koheda yanney'. Sinna caught him by the collar and frog marched him to the MS office.

There is also the story of Themis the peon who was elected an MP in SWRD’s Government. He had once familiarly addressed Sir John Kotelawala as ‘ John, how are you?’. After a violent response from Sir John Themis had gone to SWRD and complained about his treatment by Sir John. SWRD is reported to have responded ‘ Yako mama eyawa, Sir John keala kathakarenney’ (You idiot, I address him as Sir John).
 

No comments:

Post a Comment