My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Friday, December 6, 2019

old emails re Geri


Those were the very early days.The time we entered the faculty every entrant(prospective) had to face an interview.We were priviledged to have Sir Nicholas Attygalle as one of the panelists.I had my viva and was asked by Sir Nicholas as to why I did not think of taking to teaching as a profession.This was after I replied to a question about the last book I had read just before the viva and said that I read"Good Bye Mr Chipps" and thought teaching was such a noble profession and was asked as to why I chose Medicineand I  replied that I thought medicine was a nobler profession.I was relating this to Gerry whom I had just met and asked him what they asked him.He said they  asked him what his hobby(ies) are and Gerry had answered "collecting jokes".Sir Nicholas had then asked what his latest was and Gerry had replied"coming for this interview"Whether this really was true or not that was a really great introduction to the tonic we got from Gerry throughout out grind at medical college.Those days psychiatry training was confined to a few lecture demonstrations at Mulleriyawa,and when we arrived there the Consultant(?Dr Welikala) had lined up about two or three catatonic Schizophrenics with Waxy Flexibility( a rare find these days with advanced treatment.).The consultant had just gone out of the room and to his dismay when he came back he saw his patients all arranged to dancing poses standing like statues,created by Gerry during those few moments.Gerry many thanks for your great company and hope you have the most hillarious farewell from your Prof Chair.
Milroy


Your piece on Jerry J reminded me about our block concert  where there was
a take on an affair the then British Minister of Defence whose name
I  believe was Profumo,  had with a high class prostitute by the name of
Christine Wheeler. It was titled "The Frisky Feeler Story" and Jerry played
the feminine role! Jerry, I recall developed Hepatitis and missed the
regular 2nd MBBS exam and so was forced to miss a term and doomed to
graduate later. This I believe does not happen now. In fact in many medical
schools where I taught and those in the US, when one falls ill and submits
an MC, he/she can take a repeat exam soon after. More recently on the rare
occassions when I met Jerry he would pull out from his wallet a piece of
paper with a few smutty jokes.
I would like to join in wishing him many many years in happy retirement and
am looking forward to his presentation at the next get-together
Asoka

No comments:

Post a Comment