My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Good quotes


1. Many people will walk in and out of your life, but only true friends will leave footprints in your  heart.


2. Martin Niemoller's famous poem illustrates the importance of speaking out for vulnerable community groups: 

"First they came for the Jews and I did not speak out because I was not a Jew. 
Then they came for the Communists and I did not speak out because I was not a Communist.
 Then they came for the trade unionists and I did not speak out because I was not a trade unionist.
 Then they came for me and there was no one left to speak out for me."
 

3. In France of the time before the poet R.L.Stephenson, there was a civil war between the Catholics and the Protestants called the 'Camisards'. It was a very bloody battle with no give and take. R.L. Stephenson traveled through this country of past conflict, with a donkey as a companion. He wrote a book subsequently called Travels with a donkey. He quoted a poem in his book which I am quoting below.
Our land in past history, has seen strife. It is a continuing process. We of the present, are made to live through this. This is the time our love of humanity is tested, like steel tempered in fire. We must make our own contribution to lower the fires of hatred and passion. This to me is the only option at present.
Travels with a donkey by Robert Louis Stevenson. (CP)

The country of the Camisards

We traveled in the print of olden wars;
Yet all the land was green;
And love we found, and peace,
Where fire and war had been.
They pass and smile, the children of the sword-
No more the sword they wield;
And O, how deep the corn
Along the battlefield !
W.P. Bannatyne
 

No comments:

Post a Comment