My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Remembering Dr. Vasanthanathan by Dr. Fredo Benjamin.


We came to know Vasanthanathan at Batticaloa. What a nice chap he 
was. He was MO OPD but was always prepared to act for other HOs in 
any of the wards or even in the blood bank or Anaesthetic dept. He 
was quite skilled to work  in any dept.
I was MOH  and Ranji was HO Anaesthesia.  I cleared the Primary when 
I was MOH, and needed 6 months of General Medicine. It was convenient 
to to it at Batti. After 6 months I applied to do Neurology with 
George Ratnavale as I was  going to do Ophthalmology. I was selected 
and accordingly transferred but the MS refused to release Ranji 
unless he was given another HO Anaes.   Head office had no one 
available.  Vasanthanathan heard of our problem and told the 
Anaesthetist and MS that he would gladly work as HO Anaes.   The Head 
office had no problem finding someone willing to go to Batti as MO 
OPD- so Vasanthanathan moved in as HO Anaes, and Ranji was ultimately 
released - with our real gratitude to Vassanthanathan.
Subsequently he was SHS Vavuniya. I heard that  he spent many days 
and night in the refugee camps especially after the exodus, caring 
for the sick , elderly and children.He inspired the junior doctors 
with his dedication and skill.
He had an tragic end and I heard a different version from what you 
described. According to the version I heard, he was at his office, 
when a bomb exploded outside the compound narrowly missing the 
target- the  truck with  IPKF soldiers. Vasathanathan heard the 
explosion and came out of  his office, to see what had happened. The 
soldier saw him and fired the shot which killed him.



Around the world Song

2. https://youtu.be/Kz-OioMlKbQ

No comments:

Post a Comment