My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Monday, September 16, 2019

e mail - Nihal Gooneratne


Philip:
          I know  Marks wife - Premani well. If you happen to meet her, please convey my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I do not think Mark knows me as well as he does my brother Raja.
Thanks for the songs. I remember them well.

Well we are all getting old. I was accidentally discovered  to have  calcification in my LAD 2 yrs ago when I volunteered to be scanned in the new 64 slice CT scanner. The cardiologist wanted to catheterize me but, I refused. Instead I had a stress ECG. I ran for 15 mins and the ECG was normal. I was asked to repeat the CTA in 2yr. 

Off and on I  had mild focal chest pain at rest  lasting 20-30 seconds in the left 2nd intercostal space, which I ignored thinking it was due to the Statins. I usually exercise  for over 60 mins 3-4 times/wk. mainly because of my high altitude trekking trips.  I climbed Kilamanjaro,  Mt Elbrus, Mt. Fiji, Mt Everest Base Camp etc. to mention a few. One day when I was on the treadmill at home I developed  chest pain. The 2nd CTA showed 2 lesions in the RCA. The repeat stress ECG, had 15 mm ST elevation, 11 mins into the test and I had mild chest pain. Two stents were placed on April 25th in my RCA. So far I am OK. 

 I am mentioning these because when it comes to chest pain,  it is no longer the classic cardiac pain we studied. I think every Sri Lankan (Asian) after 55 (earlier, if a diabetic) should have a baseline stress ECG symptomatic or not.  Most of my Sri Lankan friends in USA have had angioplasty or CABG. We Asians have smaller coronaries and are at a higher risk for CAD than the Caucasians. Have you had a stress ECG?.
Bye
Nihal

No comments:

Post a Comment