My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Old email from Heather Knower


Hi Phillip
Thanks for the e-mails  They made very entertaining reading , besides
bringing back nostalgic memories. Here's one for you.!
  I don't know how good your knowledge of Sinhalese is . I hope it is
sufficient for you to appreciate the humor in this anecdote.

It was the 1st lecture in reproduction by Dr. David Jansz (My Brother -in
law). He took great pleasure in trying to embarrass me , because of the
relationship!

We entered the lecture hall to find an epidiascope ,covered with a cloth ,in
the middle of the lecture  theater. When we were all seated, Dr. Jansz made
his entrance and surveyed the crowd over the rims of his glasses. Then he
said pleasantly "Ladies and gentlemen, as an introduction to my first
lecture  on reproduction, I am going to show you some bioscope!" He looked
at me , and shouted "Nicholas!! Mehe wareng!(Come here)---now I must explain
that My married name is Nicholas ,and his lab boy was also called
Nicholas.------
  The boy came running in.  Still looking at me ,he yelled 
" Redda Ussapang!" (raise thy cloth)
Nicholas blushed and stared at him.  The audience was screaming with
laughter.
Without a smile on his face he looked Nicholas up nand down and repeated his
request. When nothing happened he said severely to Nicholas " Umbe Redde
Nevai bung Ara redde"  (Not your cloth man that cloth) and pointed to the
cloth over the epidiascope. Then he said "You people have a one track mind"
and started his lecture.
        Enjoy your new year! Bye for now. 
Heather

No comments:

Post a Comment