My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

The emails which made me to become an author and print 4 books


Dear Philip,



I think it would be well worthwhile writing your memoirs from medical college days to your retirement into a book.

It would not only be interesting and enjoyable reading but will be a historical record of the experiences of a doctor from the 60’s, which will be lost to posterity for ever, unless they are recorded. You have the unique flair of a chronicler and writer and also the recollections in detail, from those yester-years. You also have a distinctive style of writing which brings those memories and incidents to life. So please do think of it seriously.


Best regards.



Sena.
Dr. D C Senaratne


DearPhilip,                                                                                                                                                                                           
 Many thanks for your many letters.Shall respond in suitable fashion in due course.Be assured that they  are much appreciated:pride,joy,excitement,nostalgia,gratitude,sadness,grief,reflection,contemplation,pensiveness,        helplessness,frustation,a renewed commitment to the re-examination of that which is taken to be the  inevitable and even natural course of societal events  were among the feelings evoked!    
I forgot to mention amusement - seeing oneself with  fellow yokels from days of yore!
Dr. L D Karalliedde


At 03:01 AM 7/25/2007, you wrote:Dear Philip,Your memory, attention to detail, poetic language, and a keen observation of the changes that have ravaged our country amazes me and it is a joy to read your letters when I come home in the evening. I usually pour myself a glass of wine and the next thing is looking forwards to your letter. Any chance of writing a novel?. After all Ms. Rowling was an ordinary house wife when she wrote the first Harry Potter novel. 
Love and good luck, 
Harischandra Piyasena.



Phillip,

I love receiving your stories.  Sometimes it brings up feelings of sweet nostalgia but very often regrettably, thoughts of lost opportunities.
All the best,
Tissa

Phillip:
 I have been reading you stories with great interest and in fact look forward to receiving them.
 I have a suggestion based on a book I got from my friend Neil Halpe.  This was a history of the Peradeniya university through the eyes of about 15-20 people who spanned the years from 1943 to 1993.  The essays were wonderful,  especially because I had no idea what life was like in the 1970-1990 period in Peradeniya with rise of the JVP and the like.  I wonder whether you would consider a similar venture on our experiences in the sixties in the Colombo Faculty.  Perhaps you could ask for volunteers to write a chapter to be included in a book - I suspect you may receive about 15-20 volunteers. I could help you to edit it and get it ready for publication as I have some experience in this area (if you need my help!).  There are so many interesting stories we can recall which would be worth preserving - before our memories fade altogether!
All the best,

Tissa

Hello Tissa,
Thank you for your suggestions.
I have called already for contributions to the memories. I will trouble you for the editing in due course. I still could not contact Kapu but will keep trying.
Philip

Dear Phillip,
Daya had chickungunya ( did you know it meant a crouched old man in tanzanian where it originated) & is still a bit lethargic (I've lost my young husband for the moment!) so I'm sending you a few of the million pics!!
 Your stories are certainly interesting & I'm sure lots of folk are reading them - but have no time to reply!
Are you going to print a book? Should be interesting.
Good luck with it!
Nalini

philip-  very beautiful -the finepix is obviously very fine.
from where do you get these little snippets of information - a book is a must .Can I book an autographed copy.
Regards
daya


No comments:

Post a Comment