My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Saturday, September 28, 2019

email from Sarojini Manikarajah

Image may contain: tree, plant, sky, bridge, outdoor, nature and water

Philip G Veerasingam The Alupola Waterfall in the back ground and the roof of the bungalow where I was born, in the fore-ground. From Facebook link - https://www.facebook.com/philip.veerasingam/posts/2745890785423191




Sarojini Manikarajah Dear Philip I didn't know of your past when I went to take over the hospital in Alupola. It's surroundings are really beautiful.


Sarojini Manikarajah Hi Philip, Its part of my achievements. I was appointed as the first Director of Estate & Urban Health in 1997. The task was to take over the health services and make the services on par with that of the Govt. Services. They had already planned to take over the hospitals which were identified by the plantation sector. Alupola was one. Subsequently I planned the entire health services for the plantation which included not only the hospitals but also the Public Health and Dental services. It was a difficult task as many Ministries were involved but I had support from the Ministries of Planning and the newly formed Estate infrastructure. But had to make difficult discussions with Ministry of Plantations be a use the minister was a difficult person & also I had opposition from the people who were coordinating the health services. It made me have discussions with Provincial Chief Secretaries most of them were working as GAs and Commissioners in Vavuniya and I had good working relationship with them. The process made the provinces to take over the health services willingly in most places except in one RDHS division. Ratnapura was very accomodative. I planned a public health system created new staff cadre, carved out new MOH areas but u fortunately after my retirement the cabinet approved cadre of PHIs selected from the relevant districts had to be posted to Mullaitivu after train because the provincial cadre was full. Still most of them are in Mullaitivu and Mannar though they are from up country but now married and settled down in the north. But I am happy that the Estate population is now looked after by qualified health persons and not by quacks. Alupola was one of the first 17. Marattanne was another. In all at the end 50 hospitals were taken over and the dying cadre of AMPs who were selected to serve in these hospitals too were absorbed into the Govt.sector. All the qualified staff who opted for govt services too were taken over. I think that the system is in place. The DMO system was started in the plantation sector during British era but after 1948 the plantation sector was not considered as part of mainstream population. I think I have given a synopsis of my role as the first Director of Estate Health Services 👍

No comments:

Post a Comment