My Web-links

Please click on each of the web-links listed on the right hand side below, to explore your horizons.

Monday, September 9, 2019

Dr.Stella De Silva’s 90th birthday celebrations.




    

I had posted a copy of the book published by us, ‘Remembered Vignettes’ to Dr.Stella De Silva, with whom I did my internship in 1965/66. Subsequently I received an invitation card, to attend her 90th birthday celebrations, in her house in Horton Place, Colombo 7. A few days later I got an email from Anushika Amarasinghe, Stella’s grand-niece. I was requested to do a small part in a video documentary, they were doing of Stella. I did the video where I recalled that Stella referred to her patients not as ‘my patients’ but as ‘her children’.
Stella’s birthday was on the 2nd of June. The party was held on the 8th Sunday. I went there at 7pm. The road close to her house was ‘chock-a-block’ with cars. In the entrance to her house there was a one foot tall figure of ‘90’, sculpted in ice, to greet us. We were requested to sign a book with our comments.
Stella was seated on an arm-chair in the hall. She was still the same smiling Stella. The old boisterousness of the smile was diminished, but was still perceptible. She had suffered a mild stroke a few months back. She seemed tired with all the goings-on but she also looked happy. I wished her a happy birthday and went to mingle with the large crowd, assembled in the garden. 
            There were Dr.Wilfred Perera, Dr.Mark Amerasinghe and his wife Premini, Dr.Tommy Wickremanayake and wife Eugene, Dr.Soma de Silva and husband Ranjan, Dr.Nanda Amarasekara and wife Esther, Dr.R.P.Fernando of Violet Cottage days, Philine the wife of the late Dr.Ernie Peiris, Dr.Dennis Aloysius, Dr.Lucas, paediatrician – son of an illustrious father, wife of Dr.Mandika Wijeratne, latter the head of the Department of Surgery, Colombo and quite a galaxy of others. We enjoyed drinks and had a chat.
            The video presentation was made. It recalled Stella’s young days as a daughter of an Attorney, down South. Her brother CP De Silva was a powerful minister in the government of Mr.SWRD Bandaranayake. Tributes by various people were made.
            We sang ‘Happy Birthday’ at the cake-cutting occasion by Stella. The dinner followed. It was an out-door, buffet style dinner. There was a dish of sliced vegetables - egg-plant, carrot and leeks dipped in batting and deep-fried, served hot. This was taken with sauce. There was shelled prawns dipped in batting and deep fried. This also was served straight from the frying pan, with sauce. There was another table with ‘hot’ koththu-rotti.
            The dessert had a variety of puddings and ice-creams. It was really a delicious meal enjoyed in amiable company. All the time we had some lovely waltz music being played softly in the background. The organizers of the party had done a wonderful job. I met Anushika and a niece who were looking after Stella. I complimented them on how well they were looking after Stella in her old age.
I had been to a party in Stella’s house in 1966, when I was doing internship with her. That time she had a lovely collection of Jazz music which she played to us and encouraged us to take the floor with some pretty girls, whom she had invited to the party.
            We wished her all the best in her future years and took our leave around 10.30pm. Truly she is one of the greats of the medical profession. The rewards of a selfless life lived well, were there for all to see. She is a living legend. Words can hardly express what I felt, in that birth-day party.

I agree fully that stella was a wonderful compassionate lady. She was v generous to me in my finals. I mentioned this to her at a dinner in melbourne. She had a great laugh. Daya j. I will pass these photographs to  Manthindikas sister whom we associate v closely here.

Phillip-Thank you so much for todays  mail.I never had the privilege of working under Dr Stella De Silva. However your write up was very poignant. .Stella was a batchmate of my late brother Dr ASH (eldest in our family) and he used to say what a brilliant batch it was. I have forwarded this mail to Bennette Dayarathne  from Darwin a paediatrician-Cheers Milroy

Dear Philip

Thanks for the detailed narrative on the happy occasion of Stella's 90th B.D. celebrations.

Looks as if  you were the only one from our batch to have been so fortunate and priviledged to be invited for this special occasion.

I am aware that few months ago Tommy also had a very big party for his 90th Birthday. Not sure if many of us would be that fortunate to be in this position if and when we reach this milestone ( and to be hale and hearty) Surprised why the young and energetic 97 year old 'next door neighbour' Antho was not present.

I did not have the fortune of working with her like you. I must say few words  on Stella as I am aware that she is recognised  as one of the best and most well respected, knowledgeble and caring peadiatricians in Sri Lanka.

I only had the fortune of working with her as a medical students doing our few weeks of the clinical attachment. I do remember vividly that she did 'favour' the male medicoes more than the females at the time but she was an excellent teacher, superb clinician and above all a very dedicated and committed paediatrician who appear to have won the hearts and minds of a huge number of families in Sri Lanka even now.

As a consultant paediatrician in UK, I have met her occasionally at few of the clinical conferences. I was so impressed with her knowledge and how she continued to keep herself  updated academically with various treatment options and latest research.

 I am so proud of her as a very competent and a very pragmatic and an excellent clinician, who not only looked after the patients under her care who were so helpless, vulnerable and unable to speak out of their illnesses but offered the trust and confidence to  the parents of those children as part of the family unit.

I wish her long life with full of joy happiness and health.

Regards

Nana
c.s.nanayakkara

Hi Philip,

Thanks for sharing your feelings and the details of the birthday party for Stella. She was really a great lady.
Both my children were looked after by her until they were 16 and she dearly loved all of us.
She introduced me to the Zonta club and made me a member and we used to do many projects together.

I managed to get the post office to trace the other book and recd it a few days ago.

I am giving it to Milroys son who is a friend of ours as he loves to know all about his father in the medical world.

The book was very interesting and brought back a sense of nostalgia.

Its great that you have such a good memory .

My sincere thanks to you an Tissa.for sharing your memories with us.
I think Dawood had a point in what he said regards the first half of the batch.

I will give details of the Srilankan bookstores to any one who wants a copy.

Regards

Imelda

Dear Phillip,
Thank you very very much for sending the letter about Stella's birthday. Tissa and I always go to see her when we go to Sri Lanka.  I remember once when our daughter Savitri was ill, Tissa called her. She had been up with a sick child the night before, but asked Tissa "When would it be convenient for you?"  She is just a wonderful person. Didn't know of the birthday but shall send belated wishes,
Thanks again.
Sujiva

No comments:

Post a Comment